©2023 Photographic Center Northwest. All rights reserved.
JUL 25 | IN-PERSON WORKSHOP: Black & White Printing Basics
25jul12:30 pm5:30 pmJUL 25 | IN-PERSON WORKSHOP: Black & White Printing Basics
Black & White Printing Basics Faculty: Macsen Baumann July 25, 2021 | Sunday 12:30-5:30pm In-person Course $135| Details / Register DESCRIPTION This is a one-day
Faculty: Macsen Baumann
July 25, 2021 | Sunday 12:30-5:30pm
$135| Details / Register
This is a one-day workshop designed for beginners in the black and white darkroom, but it can also serve as a refresher for anyone who is rekindling a relationship with the darkroom. Bring negatives that you’ve processed (or had processed through a lab) and come explore the fun part: making prints! We’ll cover everything from the basic printing steps, to more advanced printing techniques like dodging, burning, and using filters. Most importantly you’ll have a chance to print in the black and white darkroom alongside a seasoned pro who can lend personalized advice – every print is different, and requires special attention! You can become a better darkroom printer in hours with the assistance and feedback of one of our instructors.
Topics covered include:
- Printing and evaluating a contact sheet
- Creating the best possible print from a negative, with correct exposure, contrast, and tone
- Using different filter techniques, like split filter printing
- Localized exposure control through dodging and burning
- Print evaluation techniques
- Darkroom workflow
- Printing in a community darkroom, and much more!
Take this workshop in tandem with our Black & White Film Photography Basics workshop for a perfect two–day introduction or refresher to the beauty of black and white photography.
- Students must bring black and white negatives that are processed and ready for printing, and a box or folder to take home completed prints
- PCNW will provide black and white paper for darkroom printing during the workshop
(Sunday) 12:30 pm - 5:30 pm